Monday 13 July 2015

Food - Health - Life. It`s all about good choices

Gluten free, Sugar free, Dairy free - Clean Eating, Paleo, Vegan. Are you as confused about all these healthy choices as I am? 

I wanted to make healthier changes, even though I always considered my lifestyle and eating habits pretty healthy. Ive always tried to cook wholesome meals for my family and grocery shop wisely. We all watch our calorie intake and exercise regularly and Im an organic veggie grower who always practiced limiting chemical use in and around the home.



So why do I feel the need for changes I hear you thinking....

Well for me the catalyst was allergies. I simply got sick and tired of a lifetime of them. I have always suffered with eczema and dermatitis but over the last 18 month my allergies really revved up a notch to the unbearable stage. I had to do something, but what!

Traditional medicine had only ever treated my symptoms - with harsh topical    
Hydro Cortisone creams - long term use has damaged and thinned my skin, and contributed to joint pain. Not to mention the lifelong stress on my Adrenal glands - more about those little babies later!

So, what to do. I decided to change tack altogether and see if making changes to my diet made any difference, after all, it`s fairly common knowledge that Gluten should be omitted from the diet of sufferers from allergies and asthma. 



Thus began my journey, and what an eye opener is has been!

From giving up certain foods and shopping differently, to finding a great Naturopath, and learning so much about the foods we are led to believe are good for us, and more scarily, all the hidden mischief by food manufacturers and big pharmaceuticals - definitely more about that later.

Now I choose to eat beneficial foods, as a way to heal myself and Ive never felt better! Losing weight along the way has been a great bonus but long term good health is the goal.

Ive also found a fresh interest in cooking and healthy recipes, alternatives to bad ingredients- a better approach to how I think about food. And of course - how to feed the family without making them suffer and feel deprived!

So I`m going to share lots of healthy stuff Ive found interesting along the way, so you can decide if you want to make some changes in your life too. 

I want to be in control of my health....so now I make good choices...and you can too! 

I bet you can`t guess what was the first major thing I gave up! Leave a comment if you can guess and watch out for my next post and I`ll tell you what it was and why.








No comments:

Post a Comment